I hope to see you at church on Sunday March 18th which is Commitment Sunday. That’s when we’ll gather to celebrate and renew our commitment to our wonderful church home and pledge our financial support.
You should have received a brochure and letter in the mail last week. Please read through these materials and consider what role UUCR plays in your life and how you are able to support it with your financial pledge. Then come to church on March 18th with the pledge card provided to you in that packet.
We need to raise $ 450,000 this year during our annual budget drive in order to support our annual operating budget which, with our growing congregation and expanding programs, has passed $ 500,000 for the first time. Your brochure provides a pie chart showing the breakdown of income and expenses related to this budget. There are 3 areas which I'd like to bring to your attention in particular, where additional funds are imperative in our ability to effectively maintain our church staff and campus.
- We do not currently pay our minister and other staff members average/fair compensation.
- Our central office staff must rely on an ancient telephone and computer system which greatly impedes their effectiveness.
- We have put-off much needed building maintenance on all 3 buildings in our campus for years.
Our mission calls upon us to not only support and maintain our existing programs and resources but to grow them and reach beyond our doors to the world outside, sharing our unique perspectives and gifts. Your generous gift will enable us to do so. This year, consider how your pledge may support these program and initiatives:
- Our Faith Development Program is growing in strength and numbers with more children and families becoming involved in the program.
- Our Social Action Program directly impacts the lives of others in our community and world, including our 2-year food-focused 'Planting Seeds' initiative.
- Plans are in the works to develop Public Relations mechanisms to get the word out about all the wonderful goings-on here at UUCR and to develop a Marketing Team who will reach out to particular demographics, letting them know about the tremendous resources available at UUCR.
It is our shared responsibility to make this church operate and provide the programs and resources that we all need and through which we can nurture our spirits and help heal our world. How much money you contribute is entirely up to you but I do ask that you consider the fact that we need to exceed last year’s average pledge amount of $ 2,250 to reach our goal. If you are currently pledging under this amount, please consider increasing your pledge as close to $ 2,250, as you are able. If you are currently pledging over this amount, please consider increasing your pledge by 10% to ensure that we are able to meet our goals.
Our faith and varied experiences touch us in so many ways. In preparation for our collective offering, we invite you to reflect on what fires your commitment to this wondrous place.