An LGBTQ Welcoming Congregation
We are a Welcoming Congregation, recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association. This means we affirm and include people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer at every level of congregational life—in worship, in program, and in social occasions—welcoming them as whole people.
As a Welcoming Congregation we have pledged to:
- honor the lives of all people and equally affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- incorporate an understanding of the experience of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer persons throughout all of our programs, including religious education.
- affirm and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues and history.
- affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society. We speak out when the rights and dignity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are at stake.
We recognize that there’s always something more to learn, and remain open to deepening our understanding about the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people.
UUCR Welcoming Congregation Committee
The mission of the UUCR Welcoming Congregation Committee is derived from the UUA’s first principle: “We pledge to affirm and promote the inherent worth and dignity of all people.” That mission is to make the UUCR a welcoming, comfortable and safe place for bisexual, gay, lesbian and transgender persons in every aspect of congregational life. We accomplish our mission within the UUCR congregation through education and an emphasis upon the affirmation of the dignity of all persons. In the larger community, we provide awareness and we advocate for all persons when rights or dignity are at stake.
We sponsor Reading PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) which meets in Loring House on the second Thursday of every month from 7:30 to 9 or 9:30 pm. This is a support group open to all who wish to come. Meetings usually involve 6 – 10 people and are a good way to meet other people, pick up informational pamphlets, or borrow a book or video from our library.
- Reading PFLAG
Meetings on the second Thursday of each month at 7:30 PM at UUCR in Loring House
- Greater Boston PFLAG
85 River St., Suite 5A
P.O. Box 541619
Waltham, MA 02454
- Boston Pride
398 Columbus Ave. #285
Boston, MA 02116
- BAGLY (Boston Alliance of Gay, Lesbian and Transgender Youth)
PO Box 960814
Boston, MA 02196
- Merrimac Valley Alliance of GLBT Youth (McVAGLY)
Meeting Place: North Parish Unitarian Universalist Church
190 Academy Road, North Andover, MA
**Meetings are every Monday, from 6:30 to 8:30 PM.**
- NAGLY (North Shore Alliance of Gay/Lesbian Youth)
Meeting Place: First Universalist Church
211 Bridge Street, Salem, MA
**Meetings are every Tuesday, 7:00-9:00pm.**
- Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC)
PO Box 301897
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
- Sidney Borum Jr Health Center
- Mass Equality
262 Washington St. 7th floor
Boston, MA 02108
- Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD)
30 Winter St. Suite 800
Boston, MA 02108
- Fenway Health
1340 Boylston St.
Boston, MA 02215
- Peer Listening Line (1-800-399-PEER)
- LGBT HelpLine (1-888-340-4528)